Friday, June 17, 2016

Choosing The Better Way

 "But the land could not support both Abram and lot with all their flocks and herds living so close together. So disputes broke out between the herdsmen of Abram and Lot."  Genesis 13:6-7


The families of Abraham and his nephew Lot were wealthy, not measured by cash or houses or stocks but by the size of their flocks and herds. Their servants constantly fought over the best pasture lands and something had to be done before blood was spilled. Magnanimously, Abraham gave Lot the first choice of a place to graze, and Lot jumped at the chance to move to the environs of Sodom and Gomorrah ( we know the consequences of that choice!).  For Abraham preserving family ties took precedence. 

What about you?

 Do you value the bonds of friendship more than getting your way, getting ahead, and getting more stuff?

 Jesus shows us the " Better Way" of love, and promises to be present wherever two or three are engaged in the work of reconciliation (Matthew 18:20).

 Prayer: Dear Jesus thank you for my earthly family and my church family. Thank you for my co-workers and my neighbors. As far as it depends on me, help me to live in peace with others. And whenever I have had a falling out, move me by the Spirit to pray for and seek out my missing brother or sister. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment